Malta is an EU member state. For detailed information about documents needed to enter the Maltese Islands, visit the Malta Foreign Affairs Ministry page here



If you are travelling between one of the 27 Schengen countries which are AustriaBelgium, Czech Republic, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain (including the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands), France, Croatia, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores), Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland and Sweden.

It is advisable that you still carry Passport or National ID Card with you as you might be asked to present them for identification or security checks.

If you are travelling to any non-Schengen countries you are required to present a valid passport or ID card at departure and entry points.

If you are entering or leaving the EU you are required to present a valid passport or ID card.

More information can be obtained on the EU Commission website here.



You will be required to show a valid passport at check-in, security points, before boarding a flight and on arrival to your destination.  

Visa requirements to enter a country vary depending on your nationality and destination. For example, the United Kingdom and Ireland have slightly different rules on visas from other EU countries. 

You can apply for a visa from the consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting. Also, if you hold a residence permit from a Schengen country, it is considered equivalent to a Visa document within the Schengen zone. However, to visit non-Schengen countries, you may need a Visa issued by that country. 

Citizens of certain countries, such as the US and Japan, do not require a visa to visit the EU for three months or less. There are 42 countries in total which benefit from these rules. You can view the entire list here.

Read more about the Visa requirements for non-EU nationals here.

Children need to have a passport or ID card in their own name to travel.